Construction Technology and Services
This course develops the understanding of key concepts associated with the construction of High Rise buildings. The course provides a vehicle to develop knowledge and skills needed to comprehend the design of services in major buildings, and in so doing engender a life-long interpretation of the intricacies of physical installation and their critical sequence in the construction process.
Faculty of Engineering and Built Environment
School of Architecture and Built Environment
Not currently offered
Previously offered in 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011
At the completion of the course students will be able to:
- Understand the techniques used in high-rise construction and how they are incorporated into the building process
- Appreciate the requirements and elements of HVAC, mechanical, electrical, hydraulic and transportation services in buildings
- Understand the design and integration of services into high-rise buildings
- Present written and visual concepts and ideas.
- Building Code of Australia
- Evolution of High Rise Structures
- Curtain Walls & Facades
- High Rise HVAC, environmental, electrical, mechanical, hydraculic services & lifts
Thermal comfort, heat load analysis, air conditioning processes, plant selection and sizing.
Implications for managing the construction process.
Gas, oil, electricity and solid fuels.
Design of hot and cold water supply, drainage systems and effluent, electrical supply and distribution systems and vertical transportation.
Concrete Frame construction
- Steel frame construction
- High Rise Structural Elements
- Management of the building process
||This replaces and modifies an existing course ARBE4100 Construction Technology 4.
||ARBE4100 Construction Technology 4 to ARBE4102 Construction Technology and Services.
- Essays / Written Assignments - 1. Written report with drawings describing and analysing the primary structural and cladding systems and building process for a high rise building
2. Written report with drawings describing and analysing the major integration of services issues associated with the construction of a high rise building.
- Quiz - On-line - Understand the use of building information modeling (BIM) for high rise building HVAC, mechanical, electrical, hydraulic and transportation services design.
- Lecture: for 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
- Tutorial: for 1 hour(s) per Week for 10 weeks
2015 Course Timetables for ARBE4102