Language and Literacy Assessment and Remediation
This course aims to provide students with the knowledge to be competent in assessment as part of an integrated approach to supporting the development and/or remediation of language and literacy abilities in deaf and hard of hearing children. The course provides a foundation for students to relate assessment of children's abilities to intervention and remediation approaches in each of those three areas.
RIDBC Renwick Centre administers this course. Before enrolling in this course, review the RIDBC Renwick Centre Handbook at http://www.ridbc.org.au/renwick/courses/current.php.
Faculty of Education and Arts
School of Education
Not currently offered
Previously offered in 2014, 2013, 2012
Upon completion of this course, students will be expected to:
- demonstrate knowledge of the principles of assessment in special education;
- demonstrate knowledge and skill with formal and informal approaches to assessing the language and literacy abilities of children and adolescents with hearing loss;
- demonstrate competence in reporting assessment results and establishing short and long term learning goals;
- demonstrate knowledge of a range of strategies and programs designed to facilitate/remediate language and literacy development;
- demonstrate knowledge of, and the capacity to access, current professional literature in assessment, development and remediation of language and communication abilities in children and adolescents with hearing loss.
Topics will include:
- Principles of assessment;
- Differentiation of habilitation/development and (re)habilitation/remediation;
- Types and use of language and literacy assessments;
- Administration of language and literacy assessments;
- Assessment report writing;
- Establishing short and long term goals;
- Principles of teaching that facilitate language and literacy remediation/development;
- Strategies for language and literacy intervention and instruction.
||EDUC6661 - Audiology for Special Educators
EDUC6662 - Speech Science and Speech Development
EDUC6663 - Foundations of Language & Literacy Development
- Examination: Class - General assessment; language and literacy assessment
- Case Scenario/PBL exercises - Student literacy assessment and intervention plan/report and reporting on subsequent program requirements
- Case Scenario/PBL exercises - Language teaching analysis
- Self Directed Learning: for 9 hour(s) per Week for 13 weeks
- Tutorial: for 10 hour(s) per Term for Full Term
- Requisite by Enrolment: Enrolment limited to Graduate Certificate in Educational Studies and Master of Special Education.
2015 Course Timetables for EDUC66641