Cross Cultural Negotiation and Management
Examines the ways in which cultural differences impact on the process of doing business and managing by focusing particularly on the art & skill of negotiation. The course explores the nature culture and how it can impact on interpersonal interactions. Topics include the nature and dimensions of culture, issues relating to cross-cultural problem solving, the dynamics of multi-cultural teams, and leadership across cultures. The course also considers global approaches to managing conflict and conducting business negotiations.
Faculty of Business and Law
Newcastle Business School
Not currently offered
Previously offered in 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005
On successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
1. Assess culture and its impact on business and management issues.
2. Utilise cross-cultural knowledge to improve leadership and team performance.
3. Apply knowledge of cross-cultural dynamics for communication and negotiation.
4. Identify interests in actual and potential conflicts, and when problems are susceptible to resolution by different types of
5. Apply negotiation skills and theory when framing problems and negotiation strategies from own and other’s perspective.
6. Plan and conduct a variety of group-based business negotiations.
7. Reflect on own and other team negotiation performance and areas of improvement.
8. Explain the role of ehtics in negotiation.
- Importance of Culture and Cross-Cultural Communication.
- Understanding Dimensions of Culture.
- Cultural Values and Management.
- Culture and Organisation.
- Cross-Cultural Leadership. Multi-cultural Teams.
- Cross-Cultural Negotiations.
- Types of Negotiations, Preparing Negotiations.
- Negotiation Styles and Skills.
- Negotiating via Information Technology.
10.Multiple Party Negotiations.
11.Ethics and Best Practice in Negotiations.
- Examination: Formal -
- Other: (please specify) - Reflective Journal
- Other: (please specify) - Annotated Bibliography
- Other: (please specify) - Negotiation Journal
- Other: (please specify) - Group Negotiations
- Case Study: for 1 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
- Lecture: for 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
2015 Course Timetables for GSBS6483