Contract Learning B
This course builds on studies undertaken in NURS6621 Contract Learning A.
This course will provide Master of Nursing (Nurse Practitioner) and Master of Mental Health Nursing (Nurse Practitioner) students with the opportunity to further develop their expert knowledge, clinical skills and competencies under supervision. Students will be supported in the preparation of a comprehensive case study and professional portfolio relevant to their specialty area of practice as a requirement for completion of the Nurse Practitioner program.
This course will provide students from other Master of Nursing/Midwifery programs with the opportunity to continue to explore a topic of clinical interest in depth. Having previously formulated a scholarly review of the literature in NURS6621 Contract Learning A, students will undertake a clinical project or clinical skills development in NURS6622 Contract Learning B.
This is a mandatory course in the Master of Nursing (Nurse Practitioner), Master of Mental Health Nursing (Nurse Practitioner) and Master of Midwifery Studies Programs.
Faculty of Health and Medicine
School of Nursing and Midwifery
Summer - 2012
Trimester 3 - 2014
On completion of this course Master of Nursing (Nurse Practitioner) and Master of Mental Health Nursing (Nurse Practitioner) students will:
1. Have developed a clear, concise and scholarly case study commensurate with advanced level academic studies and nurse practitioner practice and have successfully undertaken a clinical viva examining this case study.
2. Demonstrate competency in all areas of nurse practitioner practice as outlined in the ANMC Nurse Practitioner competencies through the presentation of a completed NP Clinical Assessment Tool and Learning Portfolio.
By the end of this course all other Master of Nursing /Midwifery students will:
1. Demonstrate advanced practice through the successful completion of a clinical project or clinical skills development activity.
2. Develop a clear, concise and scholarly presentation reporting on this activity commensurate with postgraduate level studies.
Student requirements will depend on their program of enrolment
Course content will depend on the student’s program of enrolment.
- Master of Nursing (Nurse Practitioner) students and Master of Mental Health Nursing (Nurse Practitioner) students:
This is the capstone course for Nurse practitioner students who are required to complete all of the following components in preparation for the clinical viva which completes this course:
- Embedded clinical practice
- Clinical supervision
- A comprehensive case study to form the basis of the clinical viva
- Students enrolled in other Masters Programs:
For students enrolled in other Masters Programs, this course builds on the literature review undertaken in NURS6621 Contract Learning A.
Students will be required to:
Prepare and submit a learning contract for a clinical project or clinical skills development to be undertaken during the trimester.
A scholarly presentation reporting on the clinical project or clinical skills development activity.
||Foundations of nursing/midwifery knowledge, nursing/midwifery theory, legal and ethical issues, fundamentals of research, human bioscience, psychology, sociology related to practice. Principles of investigative approaches in nursing/midwifery, concepts and theories relevant to practice, contemporary nursing/midwifery issues. Academic reading and writing skills, ability to access and evaluate information from a variety of sources, skills in critical analysis, critical judgment, synthesis and evaluation. Competent use of an electronic citation manager e.g. EndNote
ESSENTIAL SKILLS: All students-completion of NURS6621 Nursing Contract A.
NP students: completion of 30 units of directed courses and all other core courses with the exception of PHAR6702 which may be undertaken concurrently with NURS6622.
|Modes of Delivery
||Distance Learning : IT Based
Flexible Delivery / Student Centred Learning
Email Discussion Group
Self Directed Learning
- Essays / Written Assignments - Nurse Practitioner students: Case Study. Students MUST achieve a satisfactory result in the Case Study and Clinical Viva Examination to pass the course overall.
- Essays / Written Assignments - Students from Masters Programs other than Nurse Practitioner Program: Learning contract; Clinical project or clinical skills development.
- Essays / Written Assignments - Students from Masters Programs other than Nurse Practitioner Program: Clinical project or clinical skills development report.
- Examination: Formal - On campus attendance required for examination M N(NP) and M MHN (NP)(Clinical Viva)
- Other: (please specify) - Nurse Practitioner students: Clinical practice: Reflective journal:
- Other: (please specify) - Nurse Practitioner students: Clinical practice: Nurse Practitioner Clinical Assessment Tool and Learning Portfolio
- Other: (please specify) - Nurse Practitioner students; Clinical VIVA
Students MUST achieve a satisfactory result in the Clinical VIVA to pass the course overall
- Self Directed Learning: for 8 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
- Email Discussion Group: for 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
- Requisite by Enrolment: Course enrolment is limited to students in MN(NP), MN(AdvPrac), MMid, MAM(Nurs)and M Pharm
2014 Course Timetables for NURS6622