Introduces the student to the scope of ergonomics and the application of ergonomic principles to workplace design and work organisation.
The course is organised in modules:
-Psychological models of ergonomics,
-Anatomy and biomechanics in ergonomics,
-Task analysis, workspace and workstation design and the workplace
-Ergonomic assessment of the work environment,
-Work organisation and ergonomics,
Faculty of Health and Medicine
School of Health Sciences
Semester 1 - 2014
By the end of the course students will be able to:
- Identify, explain and evaluate the impact of various personal attributes (anatomical, physiological, anthropometric and psychological) on proper safe working practice;
- Assess the effect of physical environment factors on comfort and performance;
- Apply principles of good ergonomic design of work areas and equipment to a range of occupational settings;
- Explain the influence of ergonomic principles on work organisation and culture.
Major topics include:
- An introduction to the scope of ergonomics;
- Physical environmental factors, heat, light and vibration and their measurement;
- Psychological abilities relating to memory, perception of danger, attention and boredom and their relevance to work design and organisation;
- Anthropometrics as related to the work environment.
- Task analysis, workspace and workstation design in the workplace.
- The physiology of work
- Anatomy and biomechanics in relation to ergonomics.
- Physiological, psycho-social and organisational aspects of shiftwork;
- Impact of ergonomic issues on work attitude, culture and organisation.
|Modes of Delivery
||Distance Learning : IT Based
Email Discussion Group
Self Directed Learning
- Examination: On-line - On-line test - assessment 1
- Essays / Written Assignments - Assignment 2
- Examination: Formal - Examination
- Group/tutorial participation and contribution - Online discussion
- Self Directed Learning: for 8 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
- Email Discussion Group: for 1 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
2014 Course Timetables for OHSE6040