Research in Occ Health & Safety
Introduces research aspects of occupational health and safety. As much of the research in OHS (at least as far as people are concerned) uses epidemiology, this is the focus of the course. Statistics are part of research and are introduced in the course with an emphasis on practical statistics to help in the workplace or help students to understand the literature. The course also covers some other research methods and critical appraisal of the literature.
Faculty of Health and Medicine
School of Health Sciences
Semester 2 - 2014
At the completion of this course the student will be able to:
- Show an understanding of the nature of epidemiology.
- Use basic indicators of health in a community.
- Analyse an occupational health problem using an epidemiological approach
- Critically review the OH&S research literature.
a. Epidemiology: what is it?
ratios, proportions and rates
using health indicators
c. Research strategies for occupational health and safety interventions
the components of a research study
types of research study
relationship of study types to each other
the exposure variable
d. Risk, cause and bias
further estimates of risk
confounding and other biases
e. Introduction to statistics
gathering and reporting information
describe and manipulate information
using mean, standard deviation and number
probability and confidence
f. Investigating epidemics
recognising and epidemic
investigating and epidemic
g. Qualitative methods
h. Research ethics
i. Critical appraisal
|Modes of Delivery
||Distance Learning : Paper Based
Email Discussion Group
Self Directed Learning
- Essays / Written Assignments - Critical appraisal of research literature and design of an epidemiological study to answer a specific occupational health problem
- Examination: Formal - 2 hour examination; short answer and multiple choice (relates to all objectives)
- Quiz - On-line - Online test to include multiple choice and short answer questions
- Self Directed Learning: for 10 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
2014 Course Timetables for OHSE6090