Pharmacy Practice 5
Considers aspects of pharmacy practice including a systematic review of over-the-counter and complementary medicines. The need to develop and evaluate key performance indicators to evaluate the quality use of medicines through high standard pharmacy practice is an essential component of good pharmaceutical care. Experiential placement will develop clinical skills.
This course is a Compulsory Program component and must be passed in order to progress in the Master of Pharmacy.
Programs generally have defined periods for their professional education placements. These are based on negotiations between health providers and the University. Students are asked to note however, that placements may occur at any time during the calendar year and not just within defined placement periods or university terms. The timing of your placement will depend largely on the availability of placement opportunities within health services sector. Students MUST NOT organise their own placements without prior approval by the Program Convenor.
Faculty of Health and Medicine
School of Biomedical Sciences and Pharmacy
Trimester 2 - 2014
- Develop skills in the appropriate use of over the counter products and advice on non-drug treatment options
- Develop advanced communication skills in relation to Pharmacy Practice.
- Develop competency in dispensing, including patient counselling and extemporaneous dispensing
- Develop skills in medication management with the aim of optimising health outcomes
- The concept of minor illness and major disease and the use of OTC products, including complementary medicines
- The use of OTC products for illnesses of the:
- genitourinary tract
- the nervous system
- dermatological conditions including allergies
3. Women’s Health issues
4. Dispensing skill development
5. Communication skills development
6. Medication management services
7. Visits to hospital and community pharmacies and health care units
||Replaces PHAR6012 Pharmacy Practice 5 10 Units
||PHAR6211 Pharmacy Practice 4
|Modes of Delivery
Problem Based Learning
Experience Based Learning
Self Directed Learning
- Examination: Oral - Oral examination and OSCES
- Essays / Written Assignments - Written assignment, details in the course outline provided at the start of the trimester
- Examination: Formal - Written examination (may comprise True/False, multiple choice and short answer questions, calculations and case study scenarios.)
Dispensing practical examination
- Other: (please specify) - Placement workbook; and reflective journal or case study
- Other: (please specify) - Dispensing practicals. Summative assessment of the practicals will be conducted throughout the trimester
- Other: (please specify) - Assessment may include;
Oral presentations on project tasks and generation of a report.
Topics and dates will be advised in the course outline at commencement of trimester
- Other: (please specify) - Students must achieve a passing grade in the final examination and all other assessment items to obtain a passing or higher grade in this course.
Students must satisfactorily complete the placement during this course. This will be determined by satisfactory completion of their placement workbook, reflective journal and preceptor appraisals.
Students must demonstrate competency in both theoretical knowledge & laboratory skills which form part of the core competencies required of a pharmacist
- Tutorial: for 1 hour(s) per Week for 8 weeks
- Lecture: for 3 hour(s) per Week for 8 weeks
- Laboratory: for 2 hour(s) per Week for 2 weeks
- Requisite by Enrolment: This course is only available to students enrolled in the Master of Pharmacy program.
- Compulsory Course Component: OHS-Criminal Record Check
- Compulsory Program Component: Prior successful completion of PHAR6211 Pharmacy Practice 4 and be concurrently enrolled in PHAR6222 Pharmacotherapeutics 3 and PHAR6223 Pharmacotherapeutics 4.
National Police Check, Working with Children and Young People Declaration, Current NSW Health Immunisation record and Patient Confidentiality Form.
2014 Course Timetables for PHAR6221