Advanced Surgical Anatomy Postgraduate Training Course
Want to speak to someone? Call us on 1800 88 21 21
The Advanced Surgical Anatomy Postgraduate Training Course is designed to provide supervised comprehensive cadaver dissection training and topographical studies in Anatomy to the standard required for the SET Surgical Sciences Examination of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons.
The course will be run collaboratively by the Discipline of Anatomy (School of Biomedical Sciences and Pharmacy, University of Newcastle), and the Hunter New England Local Health District Surgical Training Network.
The following learning modalities will be utilized:
- Distance learning.
Four intensive workshop weekends. Each weekend will provide learning opportunities utilizing whole body dissection, prosected specimens, osteology and relevant medical imaging and histology.
I. Lower limb module
II. Upper limb module
III. Thorax, abdomen and pelvis module
IV. Head, neck and back module
- Detailed instruction from both clinical anatomists and specialist surgeons.
- In-class multiple-choice exams. These exams will be conducted on each of the four intensive topic-based weekends.
- Final formal examinations. A fifth (5th) and final weekend will be dedicated for revision and final formal examinations (oral and practical identification examinations).
The course will provide 20 units of elective study that may be credited towards the Master of Clinical Epidemiology at the University of Newcastle.
The postgraduate training course will provide students with:
- A sound knowledge of regional anatomy appropriate for safe and competent surgical practice;
- A sound knowledge of clinically important developmental and functional anatomy, and anatomical variations related to the areas studied;
- An ability to identify structures and their anatomical relationships in prosected specimens and associated imaging;
- An ability to communicate anatomical concepts clearly, precisely and concisely.
- Topic-based multiple-choice examinations;
- Oral (viva voce) examination;
- Practical identification examination.
Assumed Knowledge / Course Prerequisite
This course is designed to provide advanced professional training for junior doctors. Completion of an undergraduate medical degree such as a MBBS or an equivalent qualification is a prerequisite for undertaking the Advanced Surgical Anatomy Postgraduate Training Course.
Saturday and Sunday – July 26th and 27th (lower limb module)
Saturday and Sunday – August 23rd and 24th (upper limb module)
Saturday and Sunday –September 27th and 28th (thorax, abdomen, pelvis module)
Saturday and Sunday – October 25th and 26th (head, neck and back module)
Saturday and Sunday – November 22nd and 23rd (revision and examinations)
The postgraduate training course will consist of 75 contact hours and 200 hours of self directed learning.
Please note the substantial time commitment that this course involves.
The course will be run over five weekends (Saturday and Sunday delivery), conducted once a month for a five-month period.
The course will be conducted in the Anatomy Laboratory in the Medical Sciences West Building (MSW - level 3), University of Newcastle, Callaghan Campus, University Drive, Callaghan, NSW 2308.
Morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea will be provided on each day of the course. For specific dietary requirements please contact Josephine Smith.
Application Closing date: Friday June 13th, 2014
Please Note: Places in the 2014 delivery of this course will be limited to 24 candidates
An application process is required. Notification of acceptance into the course will be sent to all successful applicants with a request for payment.
N.B. In Step 2 of the Online Application Form, please upload your current CV and complete the question ' What do you hope to gain from this course?'
Terms & Conditions
- An administration fee of $250 will be deducted from any refunds. No refunds will be made under any circumstances unless cancellation is received in writing more than five (5) working days prior to the course commencement. Please note: If textbooks have already been shipped to the applicant the cost of these will also be deducted from the refund.
- ASAPTC reserves the right to cancel a program and will endeavour to provide participants with as much notice as possible. Upon cancellation, any fees already paid by the participant will be fully refunded.
- Full payment must be made prior to commencement of the course.
About the Course Convenor
Josephine Smith has been teaching Anatomy in the School of Biomedical Sciences and Pharmacy, University of Newcastle, since 2006. Josephine has extensive experience in course coordination, lecturing, anatomy demonstration, student supervision (Year 5 Medicine Special Studies Option - anatomical dissection), and the provision of continuing education opportunities in Anatomy for professional groups (Hunter New England Health Surgical Training Programme, Speech Pathologists, Occupational Therapists, Physiotherapists and Podiatrists).
Contact for Further Information
MPhty, DipGrad Physiology, Dip Phty
Lecturer in Anatomy,
Discipline of Anatomy,
School of Biomedical Sciences & Pharmacy
Life Sciences Building, Room 2-37
University of Newcastle
Phone: 02 4921 6310