Provides students with knowledge of the chemistry relevant to the study of pharmaceutical drugs; an overview of the structure-activity relationships of a variety of drug classes; introduces the process of drug discovery; and the methodologies of rational drug design.
Faculty of Health and Medicine
School of Biomedical Sciences and Pharmacy
Not currently offered
On successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate the importance of chemistry in the development and application of therapeutic drugs.
- Develop an understanding of the physico-chemical properties of drugs.
- Obtain a working knowledge of chemical structures and nomenclature.
- Gain an appreciation of the importance of ionisation of drugs with respect to the solubility and efficacy of drugs;
- Understand how current drugs were developed and how new scientific techniques will provide future drugs.
- Understand how changes in the chemical structure of drugs affect efficacy;
- Have been introduced to a variety of drug classes and some pharmacological properties;
- Develop an understanding of the principles of analytical techniques.
- Drug discovery
- Stereochemistry and drug-target interactions
- Medicinal chemistry of selected drug classes
- Ionisation of pharmaceutical compounds
- Chemical nomenclature
- Techniques for drug analysis
- This course is only available to students enrolled in the Master of Pharmacy program.
||Entry level requirements for Master of Pharmacy
- In Term Test: Mid-Tri Exam *
- Written Assignment: Written Assignment *
- Formal Examination: Formal Exam *
* This assessment has a compulsory requirement.
- Course Assessment Requirements: 1. Formal Examination: Pass Requirement - Students must pass this assessment item to pass the course. (Students must achieve a passing grade in the combined examination assessment (mid-term and final examination))
2. Written Assignment: Pass Requirement - Students must pass this assessment item to pass the course.
3. In Term Test: Pass Requirement - Students must pass this assessment item to pass the course. (Students must achieve a passing grade in the combined examination assessment (mid-term and final examination))
2016 Course Timetables for PHAR6114