Provides students with knowledge of the chemistry relevant to the study of pharmaceutical drugs; an overview of the structure-activity relationships of a variety of drug classes; introduces the process of drug discovery; and the methodologies of rational drug design.
Faculty of Health and Medicine
School of Biomedical Sciences and Pharmacy
Trimester 1 - 2016
On successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate the importance of chemistry in the development and application of therapeutic drugs.
- Develop an understanding of the physico-chemical properties of drugs.
- Obtain a working knowledge of chemical structures and nomenclature.
- Gain an appreciation of the importance of ionisation of drugs with respect to the solubility and efficacy of drugs;
- Understand how current drugs were developed and how new scientific techniques will provide future drugs.
- Understand how changes in the chemical structure of drugs affect efficacy;
- Have been introduced to a variety of drug classes and some pharmacological properties;
- Develop an understanding of the principles of analytical techniques.
- Drug discovery
- Stereochemistry and drug-target interactions
- Medicinal chemistry of selected drug classes
- Ionisation of pharmaceutical compounds
- Chemical nomenclature
- Techniques for drug analysis
- This course is only available to students enrolled in the Master of Pharmacy program.
||Entry level requirements for Master of Pharmacy
- In Term Test: Mid-Tri Exam *
- Written Assignment: Written Assignment *
- Formal Examination: Formal Exam *
* This assessment has a compulsory requirement.
- Computer Lab: for 2 hour(s) per Week for Weeks
- Lecture: for 2 hour(s) per Week for Weeks
- Tutorial: for 2 hour(s) per Week for Weeks
- Course Assessment Requirements: 1. Formal Examination: Pass Requirement - Students must pass this assessment item to pass the course. (Students must achieve a passing grade in the combined examination assessment (mid-term and final examination))
2. Written Assignment: Pass Requirement - Students must pass this assessment item to pass the course.
3. In Term Test: Pass Requirement - Students must pass this assessment item to pass the course. (Students must achieve a passing grade in the combined examination assessment (mid-term and final examination))
2016 Course Timetables for PHAR6114