Advanced Studies in Leadership for Mission
This course deals at an advanced level with contemporary approaches to leadership, missiology; and theology. The course is designed to enhance students’ ability to approach each of these core elements in leadership in the context of religious organisations in a discerning way. It also provides an integrated approach. As a result it is expected that leaders will be able to provide a critique not only of various approaches to missiology, leadership and theology, but also to any lack of appropriate integration of these elements in their own leadership or that of others.
Faculty of Education and Arts
School of Humanities and Social Science
Not currently offered
On successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Understand the fundamentals of missiology and their relevance to leadership in the context of religious institutions
- Articulate key features in contemporary models of leadership and critique these in the light of Christian theology;
- Understand the context in which their leadership occurs and the impact context has on the way followers see the world;
- Articulate and appreciate the scriptural foundations of mission and leadership; value the plural nature of the Christian leadership tradition and appreciate the implications for how leadership may be exercised;
- Examine and address the balance between the need for compliance and the need to both respond to and generate aspiration in respect of local needs; articulate their own spirituality for leadership and devise a strategy for nurturing this spirituality;
- Demonstrate an understanding of the ecclesial requirements with respect to leadership in their Church community;
- Demonstrate an appreciation of the situation of and pressures on other leaders working in the local Church and demonstrate insight into what collaboration might mean in practice.
Themes will include:
- Conceptions of Leadership: Modern conceptions of leadership; the importance of context for leadership; the inner life of leaders;
- Leadership and Missiology: Contemporary theologies of mission; Scriptural Foundations; leadership in the Christian tradition; women in leadership; the art of theologising.
- Modalities in Christian Leadership: Frameworks for leadership; specific dimensions of leadership; assessing leadership effectiveness.
- The Practice of Leadership: Formulating the mission of the group; essential arts in leadership; perspectives on leadership; ecclesial requirements; keeping the mission alive.
- This course replaces THEO6020. If you have successfully completed THEO6020 you cannot enrol in this course.
||This course replaces the following course(s): THEO6020. Students who have successfully completed THEO6020 are not eligible to enrol in RELT6020.
- Written Assignment: Learning Exercises
- Essay: Major Research Essay
2017 Course Timetables for RELT6020