Credit for previous postgraduate studies
If you have undertaken relevant previous postgraduate studies, it may count as credit towards your University of Newcastle postgraduate qualification. You can apply for course credits when you submit your initial postgraduate program application or at any time during the course of your study. Every application is forwarded to the relevant University of Newcastle faculty for consideration and we let you know as soon as possible whether it has been accepted.
Important: Please review the credit guidelines for the specific Faculty responsible for your program. These guidelines provide important details on currency of courses that can be considered for credit.
- Faculty of Business and Law
- Faculty of Education and Arts
- Faculty of Engineering and Built Environment
- Faculty of Health and Medicine
- Faculty of Science and Information Technology
Required documentation: We need you to include the following information so that your application can be properly assessed:
- An official certified copy of your academic transcript (unless the studies were completed at the University of Newcastle). If the transcript is in your previous family name, we will also need certified evidence of your name change, such as a marriage certificate or deed poll.
- Official program or course outlines, including full course descriptions (detailing content, method of assessment, contact hours, course duration, unit value) and preferably the prescribed texts. All course information must be from official publications or handouts.
Please note that an academic transcript is not enough; the University needs to know the specific content of your previous studies to make a thorough assessment, without this information your application will likely be rejected. Applicants should also note that undergraduate studies do not attract credit at the postgraduate level.
You can now submit and track a credit application online. During the online application process, you will be required to print a cover sheet, which should be included with your supporting documentation. Postal details are included on your credit application application coversheet.